36 Questions to Ask a Seller When Buying a House
When it comes to deciding on a house to purchase, you want to find a house that meets your needs and expectations. Team French and The Smith Home Team specializes in helping you do just that! Being an informed and prepared buyer is critical when considering a house to purchase. We recommend asking the seller or the agents many if not all of these 36 questions when buying a house. For your convenience, we’ve broken them down by category. Some of these questions will be in the listing data and many of them will be addressed in the sellers disclosures.
- When was the house built?
- How old are the appliances? (dishwasher, washer/dryer, air conditioner, water heater, etc.)
- What is the age of the roof?
- What public use properties are nearby? (parks, walking trails, event venues, etc.)
- Is there a sidewalk or public thoroughfare on or near the property?
- Have there been any boundary disputes about the property?
Personal History of the Home
- What changes or renovations has the current owner made? And, remember, this can change the value or features since the home was last sold.
- What problems have you experienced or are known about the house?
- How many homeowner insurance claims have you made?
- How would you describe the neighborhood? Pros and Cons?
- What are the neighbors like?
- What do you love about this home?
Reason for Selling
- Why are you selling the house?
- How long has it been on the market?
- Has there been a price change since going on the market?
- What are the average utility costs?
- What are the average property taxes?
- Is there a homeowners association? And, if so, what are the annual fees?
- Are there working fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors?
- Is the property fully fenced in?
- Is there any threat of asbestos?
- Does the electrical wiring meet current safety codes?
- Is there any lead paint in the house?
- Are there any lead pipes in the house
- Are there any trees near the house? Did you remove any trees recently?
- What is the age and quality of the gutters?
- How does water drain on the property during heavy rains?
- What is the quality of cell service inside the house?
- What internet or cable providers are available in the area?
- How does the sun hit the yard and house for sunrise and sunset?
- What appliances come with the house?
- How much storage space does the house have?
- What is the quality of the insulation?
- Are the windows sealed for weather and temperature efficiency?
- What heating and cooling systems does the home have?
- What type of water heater does it have?
We know that purchasing a new home can seem like an overwhelming and exhausting process. Start with these questions when considering a home purchase. Remember, Team French is here to walk you through the process and take away the pressure. If you’re in the market for a new house in Gold Country, let us help you find your dream home. Contact us today at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by one of our convenient locations!